google antitrust filing thread from @email@example.com
RT Lock (with permission):
Ok so, I just read through all 173 pages of the unredacted Google antitrust filing and I have to say that either Google is screwed or society is screwed, we'll find out which.
Unordered list of fun things I learned:
- google has a secret deal with facebook called "Jedi Blue" that they knew was so illegal that it has a whole section describing how they'll cover for each other if anyone finds out
- google appears to have a team called gTrade that is wholly dedicated to ad market manipulation
- Google had a plan called "Project NERA" to turn the web into a walled garden they called "Not Owned But Operated". A core component of this was the forced logins to the chrome browser you've probably experienced (surprise!)
- Google is willing to do almost everything to prevent people from circumventing their ad exchanges
- This is what AMP is about
- Google habitually insider trades on their ad exchanges in every way you can think of and every way you can't. Too many ways to list here.
- The exchanges are also rigged so that google wins on bids where they aren't the highest bidder.
- A large amount of people inside google are aware of all of this
- If Google ever tells you some change will increase your ad yield, run. In fact anything they tell you is a lie
- Google has worked with Facebook and Microsoft to discourage them from increasing user privacy, lamenting occasions where they prioritized their reputation over their collective business interest
You can read the full unredacted document for yourself here:
The solution to "company has monopoly, does bad monopoly things" is not "empower another, trendier monopoly", by the way. Don't go buy a fucking iPhone, fund free software and open hardware.
An overview of the markup language I'm working on for building user interfaces in GTK.
After upgrading to ubuntu 21.10 i've noticed that upgrading #flatpak packages takes significantly less time, super nice.
For a raspberry pi user like me, this is a bless.
A reminder that Donald Trump created his #SocialMedia because Jared Kushner complained about the fact that in gab social the amount of neo nazis is unsurprisingly high and gab doesn't ban them, and gab's founder refused to change his policy.
This kind of makes sense, but it doesn't take into account that the percentage of non edible food that goes to the cows vary per country.
So eating meat is not as harming to the environment as it seems.
Dialect 1.4.0 is out and available at Flathub. It comes with localized language names, keyboard shortcuts for most actions and bug fixes.
Needed to stub out some dependencies (libcall-ui, gcr, libgnome-desktop) and hack back support for custom wayland surfaces into #gtk4 but with that things start to work and we can go widget by widget:
I have to say that i will miss the old GNOME shell, i have been using it since 2016 with no addons at all, it was a very divisive formula from a very divisive project, if you liked it like i did, it worked wonderfully.
The future seems thrilling tho and this new shell feels nice, the performance is about the same.
Mozilla’s now director of public policy once asked me, with a straight face, why I was giving them a hard time and holding Mozilla to a higher standard: “we’re just another Silicon Valley tech company.”
But that’s not what you tell people publicly, is it, Mozilla?
Still, it’s time y’all got this.
Mozilla is a half-billion-dollar for-profit corporation – whose CEO makes >$3M/yr – that has a foundation do its PR.