Element is hiring Backend Engineers 🚀
You can either DM me or apply directly on https://apply.workable.com/elementio/j/CE6DA357E1/
If you are not sure if you would be a great fit or what would be expected from you, drop me a message and we'll figure it out :)
🔄 Boosts very appreciated, we need you!
google antitrust filing thread from @email@example.com
RT Lock (with permission):
Ok so, I just read through all 173 pages of the unredacted Google antitrust filing and I have to say that either Google is screwed or society is screwed, we'll find out which.
Unordered list of fun things I learned:
- google has a secret deal with facebook called "Jedi Blue" that they knew was so illegal that it has a whole section describing how they'll cover for each other if anyone finds out
- google appears to have a team called gTrade that is wholly dedicated to ad market manipulation
- Google had a plan called "Project NERA" to turn the web into a walled garden they called "Not Owned But Operated". A core component of this was the forced logins to the chrome browser you've probably experienced (surprise!)
- Google is willing to do almost everything to prevent people from circumventing their ad exchanges
- This is what AMP is about
- Google habitually insider trades on their ad exchanges in every way you can think of and every way you can't. Too many ways to list here.
- The exchanges are also rigged so that google wins on bids where they aren't the highest bidder.
- A large amount of people inside google are aware of all of this
- If Google ever tells you some change will increase your ad yield, run. In fact anything they tell you is a lie
- Google has worked with Facebook and Microsoft to discourage them from increasing user privacy, lamenting occasions where they prioritized their reputation over their collective business interest
You can read the full unredacted document for yourself here:
Text in librsvg starts to get better! Read more details in this blog post from Federico Mena-Quintero: https://people.gnome.org/~federico/blog/text-in-librsvg.html
Trump's new social network is preparing to launch... look familiar?
I advise you get on blocking the below domains.
You knew it was going to happen.
Boost it far and wide!
📢 Ten Forward Moderation Announcement 📢
The following instance(s) have been suspended from Ten Forward:
Reason - Donald Trump associated instances see - https://www.newsweek.com/trump-announces-truth-social-new-social-network-stand-tyranny-big-tech-1641074
Thu 21 Oct 2021 02:01:26 AM UTC
Libgweather is getting a major version bump that will allow applications using it to be ported to GTK4. Learn more about this update in Emmanuele Bassi's recent blog post: https://www.bassi.io/articles/2021/10/15/gweather-next/
PSA @.firstname.lastname@example.org is a bot sending spam DMs pretending to shill for the new official mastodon app and shortlinking to very obvious virus scams
do not visit that link (i did safely to investigate) and if you do, don't download whatever the fuck is on there
Librsvg 2.52.2 is out! Bugfixes, and new features!
rsvg-convert has sensible multi-page PDF output now; support for <a> links inside <text>; support for :lang() and :link pseudo-classes; support for mask-type property.
Maximilano & I ported Contrast to GTK 4, grab it from Flathub https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.design.Contrast
So please, don't give me this "the war about the word #hacker is lost" bullshit. It's not. We just keep surrendering and undermining our own position.
So, stop using the word "hacker" to mean "cybercriminal". Stop using the word "hack" to mean "breach" or "compromise".
There are better words.
Like "cybercriminal", "breach", "compromise".
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
@aday blogged about some of the platform work we've been doing lately.
tl;dr: GNOME apps are going to look so dope in a few months, it's kind of ridiculous :P